The Palacete do Caminho Novo in São Cristóvão, Rio de Janeiro, is a rare architectural exemplar from the 19th century, and it is one of the first buildings listed as a national historic and artistic heritage site by the Brazilian Institute of National Historic and Artistic Heritage (IPHAN) in 1938. Designed by Jean Pierre Pézerat, the Emperor’s architect, it is adorned with decorative paintings by Francisco Pedro do Amaral and stucco work by the Ferrez brothers. The building once housed the Museum of the First Reign and currently houses the Museum of Brazilian Fashion.

Palacete do Caminho Novo: The place where Mauá and the Marquesa de Santos lived