The Nabuco Chapel Mausoleum was the work of Italian sculptor Giovanni Nicolini, inaugurated in 1914, commissioned by the Government of Pernambuco. It features a visual narrative, depicting half-naked men, women, and children theatrically portraying the effort made to raise the coffin of the one who was the “redeemer of the enslaved race in Brazil,” as stated in the text above the chapel door.

The Tomb of Joaquim Nabuco