In August 1888, the city of Rio de Janeiro welcomed the return of Emperor Dom Pedro II after a year-long trip to Europe for medical treatment. As they sighted Guanabara Bay, they saw the tribute made by the students of the Military School, then located at Praia Vermelha. They had placed a twelve-meter sign on top of Sugarloaf Mountain with the word “Salve” (Hail).

The return of Dom Pedro II to Brazil after the Abolition of Slavery
Emperor Dom Pedro II, his wife Empress Dona Teresa Cristina, his grandson Prince Pedro Augusto of Saxe-Coburg and Braganza with entourage (highlighting the Monarch’s personal physician, Count of Mota Maia, Count of Nioac, Counts of Carapebus, and Dom Pedro II’s professor of oriental languages, Christian Friedrich Seybold) on board the steamship “Congo” in Rio de Janeiro, after returning from a trip to Europe, August 1888.